How Do I Make Changes to My California LLC?

Guide to Making Changes to a California LLC

People often need to make certain changes to their California-based LLC, such as changing the name, address, or agent for service of process. How to do this is not always intuitive. Here’s what you need to know.

How do I change the address of my LLC?

If you change your LLC’s address, you need to make sure to update it with the California Secretary of State, as well as the IRS and California Franchise Tax Board (FTB). To update with the Secretary of State, you would file a new Statement of Information.

To update the address with the IRS and FTB, you can generally wait until you file the next corporate tax returns, and check the “address change” box. To do it sooner, for the IRS you can file form 8822-B or simply write them a letter. For the FTB, you can use the MyFTB portal or file form 3533-B.

How do I change the name of my LLC?

1. To change the name of your LLC, first you should make sure the name is available by searching the database at the California Secretary of State’s BizFile Online, and that it would not be infringing on someone else’s trademark.

2. Next, draft a resolution to change the name, signed by at least a majority of the LLC’s members, unless the operating agreement specifies a higher threshold for approval.

3. Then you would file an amendment to the articles of organization for your LLC. You do this by creating a BizFile Online account (or sign in if you already have one). When signed in to your account, search the database for your LLC. When you click on the entry for your LLC, a box should pop up on the right. Click the button towards the top that says File Amendment. Then another box will pop up. Select Amendment – CA LLC, then follow the prompts.

If you do not see this at the top, you will need to click the box that says Request Access and wait for the Secretary of State to mail you an access code to the address on file.

In the alternative, you can file a name change by mail or in person by filling in a paper form, which you can access at the Secretary of State’s website. Choose form Certificate of Amendment – Name Change Only (Form LLC-2-NA)

How do I change or update my agent for service of process?

To change your registered agent, once the new agent agrees to serve as the agent, you simply need to file an updated statement of information with the California Secretary of State.

How do I change the managers of my LLC?

To change the managers of a California LLC, you will need to draft a resolution signed by a a majority of the members, unless the operating agreement specifies a higher threshold for approval.

Then you would file an updated Statement of Information.

Further Resources

See our full Guide to the Law for California LLCs

See our Guide to the Law for Entrepreneurs and Business Owners

Speak to a California business lawyer for assistance

Photo credit: Image by diana.grytsku on Freepik

Share the Legal Info With Your Friends: